Monday, June 18, 2012

To wiki or not to wiki, that is the question!


Throughout my graduate studies, the topic of wikis is the center of much debate.  Personally, I turn to Wikipedia frequently to find information on a range of topics.  At dinner the other night my parents, both in their late 60’s were talking about “Googling” and turning to Wikipedia for information.  The layout of Wikipedia and organization make accessing desired information fairly easy and user friendly.  However, in the classroom I think using wikis such as Wikipedia really depends on the age group of your students.  In first grade, my students research and conduct searches for information on the Internet. However, I commonly limit their searches to predetermined websites that I have listed within a webquest or similar a forum. However, if I taught students in upper elementary grades such as 4th and higher I would allow my students to use wikis – only after teaching them the importance of evaluating sources and how to do so.  I think wikis are a great place for gathering basic information on a topic such as dates or general facts.  Overall, it can be a helpful starting point for general information or academic research.  Richardson (2010) adds, "The early consensus among educators seems to be to tell students to use Wikipedia as starting point for their work, but not as a sole resource.  On that note I think that using wikis such as Wikipedia takes practice and requires learning how to evaluate sources using information literacy criteria such as credibility, authority, accuracy and reliability of information.  Along with the unlimited uses for wikis in the classroom they provide students with wonderful opporunities to practice the aforementioned information literacy skills.
 
At the end of the day I am for the use of wikis in the classroom when used for the appropriate purpose and when evaluative strategies are applied.  But, this is just my opinion.  Here is Michel Scott’s take on wikis!

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting that when we are asked the question about using wikis in our class that we universally think about them as places to go for research. However, how about using them with your class?

    There are several free wikis available. I have used both PBWorks and WikiSpaces with my classes. In my Spanish 1 class, they kept a repository of vocabulary and grammar. The students maintained the lists themselves and policed the site themselves. It was a good cooperative experience.

    In my Edutainment class, each student had a page where s/he would post progress on their year-long project. Then there were community pages for assets, scripts, and tutorials the students found useful in their project.

    In both of these instances, the wikis added to the already collaborative quality of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Sue, we tend to think of wikis as places to find information. We have to change our perspective and create them in our own image of what we think they should be used for. Cooperative assignments and collaborative learning. Basically what we have to do with in our discussions for this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had more experience and input here. However, I hadn't considered the dichotomoy in that I love Wikipedia but have always disliked wiki assignments. I really appreciate Sue's input and experience. It is great seeing someone who has used these technologies successfully in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, I can relate to your experiences (or lack thereof) with wikis. I feel that through our classes and studies I have learned so much about the potential uses and implications for using wikis. However, I have limited personal experiences. Therefore, testimonies such as Sue's are very helpful and encouraging!

      However, I must admit that I see great possibilities for how to use wikis with other age groups. I’m not 100% sold on the appropriate integration of wikis with my 1st graders. Suggestions?

      Delete